The original Star Wars cast has officially signed on to reprise their roles in director JJ Abrams’ latest instalment of the iconic film franchise – putting an end to months of speculation.
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill are among those joining a team of fresh faces for the forthcoming Star Wars: Episode VII.
Disney and Lucasfilm put the long-standing rumours to rest on Tuesday, confirming the film’s cast via the official Star Wars website.
Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will reprise their roles
They were pictured during a script read-through at the UK’s Pinewood Studios.
Actors Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will reprise their roles
Abrams said: “We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.
“It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again.”
Actors Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker are also making repeat performances as C-3PO, Chewbacca and R2-D2, respectively.
Academy Award-winning composer John Williams, who created the original trilogy’s themes, is also back.
The Star Wars veterans will be joined by new cast members John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson and Max von Sydow.
Andy Serkis, Gollum from the Lord of the Rings saga, is also in the cast.
Their roles have not been confirmed, nor has whether any of the cast members pictured came from last year’s open auditions in the UK and Ireland.
However, Boyega and Ridley are both British, and Gleeson is Irish.
Disney CEO Bob Iger has said the film will be set 30 years after 1983’s Return of the Jedi.
Abrams said filming would begin in a couple of weeks.
It is expected to hit cinemas in December 2015.